Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Finding Time for Fun

I will have to say that one of the greatest blessings in my life is my family. I am so close to my parents and my siblings. They keep me grounded and are always there for me, no matter what. Tonight my family and I went ice skating together. When we got there, it was sold out, so we decided to go to the later session. We went home and played Wii bowling, which is now THE game in the house. Then we took a trip to Sams, which is an interesting experience all on its own.

After reading the preceding paragraph I being to wonder if I allow laziness to creep in and prohibit my writing from being anything more than a list of activities, as opposed to an open expression of art that helps people to understand my experiences. Take for instance the following, "We went to Moe's for dinner" or "After much debate we settled on going to a restaurant that welcomes you into its establishment by yelling WELCOME TO MOE'S." They both say the same thing, but the latter offers you a more complete understanding of what actually happened, but it also requires more words, more thought, and more effort. I want to be a true writer. I don't want this to be a journal, but an account of all that I experience. I want it to be more than a list of what I did, but an expression of what I encountered.

Tonight was more than just time with my family, it was a chance to appreciate all that I've been given through them. My sister has taught me so much and has helped me become who I am. She is my best friend and I can't imagine life without her. She and Bruce are the only people I feel that I can be around and truly feel a part of. They have a way of taking me into their lives without making me feel like an intruder. I love them both so much and being able to spend time with them makes my life better. Ice skating with them and my parents was definitely an experience. We arrived at the Civic center more than an hour early so that we could be sure to get skates. I think that we were possibly the fifth group of people to even get into the door. We watched people walk all the way up to the front of the line, just to check to see if the doors were open. Seriously? If the doors WERE open, don't you think we would have been in there? I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of humans.

Once we were inside the building we strapped on our skates and headed for the ice. Now, you have to understand, my sister and I have both been skating for quite some time, and then here comes everyone else, not knowing how to do it. I think Bruce might have made it around twice. I don't know about the parentals, but they weren't far behind that. It was a horribly skating experience overall though, due in large to the fact that there were close to, or maybe even over, 100 people there. The ice was nasty, and there was NO room to skate on the ice. We ended up leaving long before the three hour session was over, but the time we did spend there was somewhat of a success.

From there we went and grabbed some ice cream from Coldstone, also known as the greatest place on earth. Then we walked down to the book store. As I looked at books and read the covers I began to imagine walking into a bookstore and picking up the book I wrote and seeing it there, for the world to buy. I kind of got excited. The writing project that I begin on Monday will be what I put the greatest amount of effort into this year. I can't wait to walk into Books A Million and actually pick up the novel written by Jessica R. Buchanan. Although this day was definitely a topper, that day will be one of the best in my life.

No comments: