Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Loving the Journey

So...a couple of different things to talk about today.

Met "School Boy" on Friday night. It was awkward but I just tried to be myself. He seems like a nice guy. Not really my type...really tall, really skinny, but like I said, he was nice and he handled my family pretty well, so that gave him some extra points. Mom is still in love with him and I think she's already planned our wedding. Got to love her.

Meanwhile, I am still interested in seeing if anything progresses with "Salt and Pepper" (that's what my co-worker calls the older student who I swoon over every time he walks through my door). I've never been really good at the whole gauging of interest and whatnot when it comes to guys. He's the first guy I've met in a long time that I find attractive AND that I'm actually interested in moving beyond our office banter. I guess only time will tell, and I'm not stressing over it.

I continue to be completely happy being single. Of course I hit my rough spots, but all in all, I love having my freedom and am embracing every moment that I am able to be single :) To that end...I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up (if that ever happens anyways). I've narrowed it down to two options...and I even think I've decided between the two. Right now, as I type, I have tabs up on my browser...each representing where I want to see myself in the next few years. The first tab is job openings for education positions, the second is the EPI program at Polk that I need to take in order to get my permanent certification, the third is the Masters in Reading at USF that I want to obtain, the fourth is the house I really want to buy and the fifth is the car that I'd like to buy after I finish my Masters. It sounds like a lot, but it's really a progression of steps that I want to take towards my future. I loved teaching middle school reading, and that's what I want to do.

The other option that I have been looking in to was my Masters at Wake Forest, and then on to editing for a publishing company. And while this does seem like me in a lot of ways, I have this overwhelming desire to teach, to have my summers to myself, and to inspire a new generation to learn how to fall in love with books. I have this whole theory that if we could teach kids to find what they love to read, they will have an easier time reading the things that they don't love. That's how it always worked for me. I, of course, am an exception to the rule...I loved everything.

It's kind of cool to be on the edge of these choices. And I love that I am single and don't have to worry about someone else when I am making them. I can choose what's best for ME. How can anyone not see that as a blessing?

I am looking forward to this journey and the road ahead of me. It will be interesting to see where it all goes.

No comments: