Thursday, September 08, 2011

Addiction or Obesession

I have a problem. I have too many addictions, or maybe they are obsessions. I suppose I am not quite sure which they are. So...I looked them up...

Addiction is defined as a compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.

Obsession is defined as a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling; broadly : compelling motivation.

Looking at these two different definitions I would probably say that I have more of an obsession than anything else. I hate them. I watch too much tv. I prefer to be lazy and not go to the gym. I think I tend to have a bit of an obsessive personality. When I like something or want something I am stuck on it. I sit around and think about it and I can never seem to get it out of my head. I don't know why I am like this or why I can't seem to get past it. And why? WHY? Can my obsessions not be healthy ones. You know...like going to the gym and eating rabbit food? *smile* I tend to hold on to these things that drive me down and make me feel less about myself.

I have always considered most of my habits to be addictions. I am addicted to Tijuana Flats. I am addicted to certain television shows. I am addicted to music and I am addicted to these thoughts of you. I just don't feel as though I can call them obsessions, but maybe I am wrong.

I think it is time to form some healthy obsessions. I will try to go to the gym more often. I will try to turn off the television. I will read more. I will save money. I will be obsessive about these things. I mean...if I have these obsessive, destructive habits, what's to say that I can't form equally benefiting obsessions that will lift me up and make me better?

That is my new goal I believe. Out with the old Jessica and in with the new! Here we go. Let's get obsessed!


No comments: