Thursday, December 23, 2004

New Beginnings

Well, for all those keeping tabs on me, I have finally made it to the Bluegrass State. It took us over 24 hours to get here, but we finally landed at about ten our time, eleven for all my Florida peeps. We were supposed to leave at about one on Tuesday, but we got delayed, and delayed some more and didn't end up actually hitting the road until about 5:30. We were almost to I-75 when the van broke down. Dad and I went in search of some transmission fluid, came back and then we were back on the road. At about 12:30 in the a.m. mom decided that she couldn't drive any more (she had only been driving for an hour) so we stopped at a hotel. I ended up sleeping in the bathtub so that I couldn't hear the symphony of snores. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

You would think maybe that was the end to all of our bad luck, but no. We hadn't gone very far when we started having to stop every half hour to put water in my car so that it wouldn't over heat. At about seven we stopped and it took dad four hours to fix the car. That was our last vehicular delay. Our next delay was weather related. It began to snow. While I might not be a Florida girl born and raised, I have lived there as long as I have been driving, which means that Jessica has never driven in the snow. It was an experience. I figure God was just giving me a driving lesson for any snow day that comes in my future.

But wait, there is more. There are four Madisonville exits, two of which go directly into town. We are supposed to take the first one, which gets us straight to my grandmother's. With the other exit you have to drive through town. Well I missed the first exit, causing quite a panic. I then got seperated from my parents, with a brother who kept saying he would drive if I wanted him to. At that point all I wanted to do was get to my grandmothers. It took me twice as long as it would have if I had taken the first exit, but I made it.

I felt as though a hurricane of a different nature had swept through. There was no power, people were driving around in the snow like idiots (my cousin even said, "why would anyone be out in this if that didn't have to?", reminding me of the many times I said that of people drving around in the storms), and we were under a state of emergency. Oh, the days when the weather was nice is no more. I have bad weather following me everywhere I go. But I am glad to be here.

I am excited about all that is going to happen. My life is changing, a new chapted has begun. Stay tuned to see where this will lead.

No comments: