Friday, September 24, 2004

Call Me Sage

It is only the first week of classes and already my office turns into a counseling session. I don't understand what it is about me that drawls people in. People who barely know me will come into my office and tell me their secrets. It is almost as if I have put them under a spell. Please do not misunderstand. I love that people trust me, but sometimes it becomes a bit overwhelming. I know so much about so many people, sometimes without them saying a word. I have been given a gift that often times doubles as a curse. I can read people just as easily as I can read a book.

I wish I understood myself half as well as I understand others. I am an enigma inside of a riddle ending in a question mark. I know that I am a part of reality, but recently I have felt somewhat disconnected. It is almost as if I am walking on the outside of my body. Things are happening all around me, but I am experiencing nothing. I hate when this feeling overtakes me. All I want to do is hide away because I fear someone might see past the act, and realize that something is wrong.

Alas, I am the one with the sage advice. I listen and I hear. Often I see outside of myself and am able to understand the situation better than the people who are in it. I get scared sometimes when I realize how easy it is for me to understand. My empathy is running short though and I feel like a week away will be good for me. I will miss the constant flow of students who come and talk to me, but it is what I need right now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an enigma inside of a riddle ending in a question mark. I know that I am a part of reality, but recently I have felt somewhat disconnected. It is almost as if I am walking on the outside of my body.awesome quote I love it. Very well done. You write quite well Plus you listen to people when they come to talk with you.

~adam

Anonymous said...

I wish I could read people like they are an open book. in Life as a House the boy says I like how it feels not to feel and I find that quote indictiaveive of myself sometimes.

~adam

Anonymous said...

sage

~adam

Anonymous said...

so why is it that you don't know yourself? is there something that scares you in being honest with yourself because at that exact moment you would than have to be honest with everyone else.

If I am honest with you
you might not like me
and if I am honest with you
You might still lie
and to be honest with you
I just can't be honest with me.


random thoughts from an inquiring mind

~adam