Friday, September 10, 2004

One More Time

I returned from Kentucky on Tuesday. Frances did little damage to our already damaged town. Yet, as you look around you seem to wonder, was that tree down before? Had that building been damaged the first time? You see a different skyline with fewer trees, and more water. With everyday of rain we see more flooding, and you can't help but hold your breath as you see Ivan quickly approaching.

Evacuations have already begun in Florida, but this time I will stay put. Ivan is a threat, but one I must face. It has been an experience that I will never forget. Everyday we turn on the news and everyday they seem to say the same thing, Ivan WILL hit Florida. The Weather Channel has been the only constant in our lives over the last two weeks, but even they have become monotonous.

I don't know how much more of this I can handle. I wake up and watch the news, I get to work and I check the path, I go to bed with the sound of Steve Jerve (weather forecaster extraordinaire) in my head. Everyday I wish it were here and gone. That's what kills you. You wait and that is all you can do. I work at a college and they tell us today that we can't talk about the storm and to me it seems as though it would cause more stress than anything else. We haven't started school because of Charley, and if Ivan comes...well I don't even want to think about it.

And so again, I wonder, will we make it through this time?

No comments: